Carver reveals McClaren backing

first_img He will first have to demonstrate that he can mobilise the current crop to avoid an ugly survival fight, something of which he will have to persuade his visitors on Friday with many fans having already decided that whatever he may offer as a coach or an assistant manager, he is not a number one. Carver said: “Listen, you’ve got to give people opportunities. There will be people saying that, but I also think people out there understand the circumstances. These are extreme circumstances. “I keep saying that, but they are. If I’ve got the tools…” Carver will at least be able to call upon midfielder Moussa Sissoko at Leicester after a two-match ban, while defender Paul Dummett has rejoined the squad following his recovery from injury. Striker Papiss Cisse will complete his seven-match suspension at the weekend, but a niggling knee problem could mean he does not go straight back into the squad. Carver said: “He’s quite positive about this whole situation, so let’s not write him off. He’s been really positive about it, and it might be that we have to use him like Siem (De Jong) in the last 20 minutes, half and hour, to come off the bench, get in that six-yard box and score the winning goal for us. “We might have to use him in that way. But what we’re not going to do is put him at risk, put his health at risk by doing something stupid. “The one thing I will say is when he was playing, you could see – it was blatantly obvious to everyone – that he had a little bit of an issue with a limp. That limp has gone now, so that’s good news.” John Carver has received support from the man hotly tipped to succeed him as Newcastle’s head coach. The pair bumped into each other after the Newcastle man travelled to watch the club’s Under-21s in action against their Rams counterparts on Tuesday. Carver said: “I had a good chat with Steve McClaren, we had a good talk. We didn’t talk about anything other than my situation and about what my players are doing on the pitch. “It was all about me and how I had to cope with it, and even he said, ‘It’s been a difficult thing for you John, I understand that. But you’ve handled it quite well. You’ve had to cope with it’.” Asked if the speculation over the Newcastle job had been raised, Carver said: “No, no, absolutely not, absolutely 100 per cent no. He just asked how I was coping with it, how I was dealing with it. “Steve and I go back – and Steve Round and Paul Simpson, who were there. We were all on the same Pro-Licence course together. “There was nothing about what all the rumours are or anything like that, because they had to give me some respect as well, let’s be honest. “Whether they are in for it or not, they have to give me the respect, so they were never going to talk about anything like that – and I didn’t spin it the other way either.” Despite presiding over a run of seven successive league defeats for the first time since 1977, Carver insists he is still desperate to be given the job and to prove that he can succeed when he has a full squad at his disposal. The under-fire 50-year-old has invited two fans to the training ground on Friday after he became involved in a heated touchline exchange with them as the Magpies slipped to a 3-2 defeat – their seventh in a row in the Barclays Premier League – by Swansea at St James’ Park on Saturday with the pressure on him mounting. However, as Carver attempts to steer his home-town club clear of an unthinkable relegation, he has been backed by Derby counterpart Steve McClaren, the bookmakers’ favourite to take over on Tyneside in the summer and one of the names on the short-list drawn up by managing director Lee Charnley. Press Associationlast_img read more

No. 1 SU storms past Johns Hopkins, 15-9, continues undefeated start

first_imgRyan Darby raced up the sideline on Johns Hopkins’ man-down clear attempt, trying to fend off Chase Scanlan’s ride. When the Syracuse attack eventually popped the ball out of Darby’s goalie’s stick, another SU rush ensued in the fourth quarter. But this time, the net was open.Long-stick midfielder Jared Fernandez scooped up the ground ball and lifted a pass to Scanlan, who easily deposited the ball into the net and extended the Orange’s lead to six. The Blue Jays had tried to recover for the last 30 minutes from a first-quarter run by SU that became insurmountable with each additional tally, and Scanlan’s fourth goal.In its first road test of the season, No. 1 Syracuse (5-0) continued its undefeated start with a 15-9 win over Johns Hopkins (1-4). The Orange’s offense exploded in a seven-goal first quarter, and after it settled in the defense and Drake Porter (16 saves) emerged. Ten goals came from SU’s midfield — which Hobart head coach called the best unit in the country, and Syracuse ensured its place atop Inside Lacrosse’s rankings for more than a week.When Syracuse lost the opening draw and Nick DiPietro earned a 30-second push flag just 15 seconds in, though, an eventual offensive outburst was temporarily delayed. Face-off specialist Kyle Prouty gathered the opening draw and raced toward the cage before DiPietro’s trip forced his shot attempt to bounce wide.On the man-up, JHU’s Garrett Degnon’s shot was saved by Porter, but the Blue Jays immediately earned possession back when the Orange were called offside. Syracuse was already missing two of its top defenders before the game started when short-stick defensive midfielder Peter Dearth was ruled out with a knee injury. Through the opening four games, the Orange mitigated Nick Mellen’s absence, but Dearth’s loss posed another threat.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textOwen Murphy — making first career start at attack for JHU after notching a hat-trick last week against Princeton — earned short-stick time for Dearth’s backup Dami Oladunmoye, and Johns Hopkins relied on picks near the cage to open lanes for Murphy, Degnon and Cole Williams.But at the 12-minute mark of the opening quarter, Syracuse’s offensive conversions commenced. Scanlan scored first from the left side, and then Rehfuss drew a short-stick behind the net that he dodged around and found Trimboli.Jacob Giacalone started the game in goal for Johns Hopkins but was eventually replaced by Darby after allowing four quick goals — the final one from Dordevic, who flapped his arms after his shot found twine. Syracuse combined over the next three quarters to match its opening frame’s output, but Porter’s one-on-one saves and tight defense against JHU’s attack and midfielders limited the Blue Jays’ opportunities.Syracuse’s seven opening-frame goals provided enough of a cushion against a Johns Hopkins team amidst its worst start in at last 20 years. Murphy led the Blue Jays with a second-half hat trick, and the Orange avoided a major scare when Dordevic spun out of his roll dodge hopping on his right leg — the one that forced him to miss all of last season. He hobbled over to the sideline with cramps and returned for Syracuse’s next goal, another tally by Trimboli.With just over eight minutes remaining, William’s behind-the-back effort was blocked, and Syracuse close defender Brett Kennedy sprinted up in transition. With yards of space in front, Kennedy lifted his stick — hinting at a shot — but then lowered it. Against JHU last year, Kennedy took that shot and scored on the run, but now the Orange just needed to run the clock down. The ball cycled around the wings and behind the cage. Arms moved up and down on the Syracuse sideline, motioning for the offense to slow down. Eventually, Rehfuss spotted Scanlan on the left side and flung the ball cross-field. Scanlan cut toward the middle, dipped his right knee and shot while falling. After the ball sunk past Darby into the top right corner, Scanlan lifted himself off the ground, squatted and roared. With a 14-7 lead that doubled JHU’s offensive output to that point, Syracuse’s offense had all it needed. Comments Published on March 7, 2020 at 4:29 pm Contact Andrew: [email protected] | @CraneAndrew Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more