A petition has been set up by Wadham undergraduate Rowan Davis, which demands that The Sun publically apologises for a purportedly “dehumanising” and “transphobic” comment made in an article published by the newspaper last week. It has so far reached over 25,000 signatories.The Sun columnist Rod Liddle wrote of Emily Brothers, a blind, transgender Labour MP candidate, “Thing is though… being blind, how did she know she was the wrong sex?”In response to this, Davis, a Trans Rep for the Oxford University LGBTQ Society, started a petition calling for The Sun’s Editor, David Dinsmore, to issue a public apology. Davis told Cherwell, “I have been overwhelmed at the hugely positive response to the despicable comment posted in The Sun by Rod Liddle concerning Emily Brothers. His article demonstrated completely the hatred that comes at the intersections of transphobia and ableism, ridiculing experiences of oppression for a quick laugh. I hope that this petition to ask for a direct and full apology from The Sun‘s editorial team will continue to grow, and that from it we can start to see changes in the way that trans people and those with disabilities are treated in the media.”The petition argues that, “By reducing [Emily Brothers] down to her blindness and transness, Liddle has contributed to the dehumanisation and oppression of trans people and those with disabilities, and has helped uphold ableist and transphobic norms in politics.“We deserve better, and as such The Sun should publically apologise.”Brothers is standing to be MP for the constituency of Sutton & Cheam in the next General Election, and is the first openly transgender Labour candidate to run for parliament.Liddle released a statement on Friday apologising for what he described as a “poor joke”, saying, “I wish Emily the very best and I’d definitely vote for her if I lived in Sutton and Cheam.”Responding to this apology, Brothers wrote that she had “wondered aloud how he [Rod Liddell] knows he’s a man when he turns the light out. I believe strongly in press freedom. But it should hold the rich and powerful to account, not mock and undermine the vulnerable and disadvantaged.”In reaction to Brothers’ response to Liddell’s apology, and due to the attention the petition received, Davis added an update on December 16th, which stated that “It is vital that we keep pressure up on the editors of The Sun to issue a full apology without reservations.” Having reached 25,000 signatures in just five days, the goal for the petition has been shifted to 35,000 signatures.Davis launched the petition after Wadham student Tim Cannon posted a link to the original article in The Sun on the Facebook group NoHeterOx**.The Sun has not responded to Cherwell’s request for comment.
Topics : Central government data on the city’s daily reported cases, meanwhile, show that the number has rather been fluctuating. On Monday, when Doni made the statement, the city recorded 71 new cases. It recorded 133 new cases on Tuesday.While acknowledging that the PSBB might be helping to slow down transmission, experts have warned against taking data on new confirmed cases at face value, mainly because the country’s lack of PCR testing capacity might lead to low and late reporting of new cases.A biostatistic researcher at the University of Indonesia’s (UI) School of Public Health, Iwan Ariawan, said that without further information on the number of tests being carried out and the time gap between the collection of swab samples and the announcement of test results, interpreting a decline in reported COVID-19 cases was subject to a high risk of bias.”For instance, with a reduced number of tests being carried out, the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases will automatically decline as well. [And that would not be] because of a decline in cases among the population, but rather because of a decline in the number of people being tested,” he said.COVID-19 cases (JP/Swi Handono)Iqbal Ridzi Fahdri Elyazar, disease surveillance and biostatistics researcher at the Eijkman-Oxford Clinical Research Unit, said any good news on a decline in new cases in Jakarta had to be supported by accurate data, which would largely rely on the country’s testing capacity to reveal new cases in a timely manner. He said a systematic epidemiology study that met scientific standards was needed, aside from ensuring a wide testing scope.”Vietnam tests 2.17 per 1,000 people, while Indonesia tests 0.21 per 1,000 people. That means the testing scope in Vietnam is 10 times that of Indonesia. Vietnam’s claim of a decline in new cases, then, is more reliable, because it is testing more people at risk,” Iqbal said.Indonesia has only tested 62,544 people as of Tuesday, resulting in 9,511 testing positive. Data compiled by the Post from the government’s daily briefing showed that the country tested an average of 2,300 new people daily in the past week.Iwan of UI said that, based on his team’s estimation, Indonesia would need to carry out PCR test on 3 million people to detect and isolate cases, but as massive testing was difficult, the PSBB could be the intervention the country needed to suppress infections.Iwan said his team had tried to evaluate the efficacy of Jakarta’s PSBB by using Google’s data, which showed that the proportion of people staying at home had indeed seen a spike compared to January and February. He said that, according to the data, about 59 percent of people in Jakarta had stayed at home on April 19.”However, modeling in Australia shows that 80 percent of the people need to stay at home to deflate the epidemic curve,” he said, referring to modeling by Sydney University published on preprint website arXiv.According to his team’s modeling, Iwan said that with the currently imposed intervention, Jakarta would see its peak of cases in mid-May and if the PSBB was to bear success, the capital could gradually loosen up its restrictions starting from July. He warned of lifting the restrictions too early to avoid a second wave of infections.Another epidemiologist at UI, Tri Yunis Miko, had doubts that Jakarta would return to normal in July, urging the authorities not to lift restrictions before there were zero new cases reported. He believed, however, that Doni’s statement could instil hope among the people and rally support for everyone to work together in curbing transmission, including by following the PSBB rules.Karina M. Tehusijarana and Budi Sutrisno contributed to this story. “Pak President asked all of us to work even harder and encourage communities to be more disciplined and officials to be stricter, so we can start going back to a normal life in July,” Doni added.Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan said last week that the city administration had observed an “increase of COVID-19 cases at a rate that is relatively constant” for the past days.He further said that there had been a “significant decline” in the number of burials using COVID-19 protocol, claiming it had subsided from more than 50 to between 30 and 40 burials per day. Jakarta’s data on burials based on COVID-19 protocol, however, show that from April 12 to 14 as well as April 18 and 22, when Anies made the statement, such burials reached 50 and above daily.“Was it a temporary slowdown or a permanent trend? We will keep monitoring [the data]. Hopefully, this is a trend that is permanent, which means that [COVID-19 infections] have been declining,” he said. The government has claimed that Jakarta, the country’s epicenter of COVID-19, has flattened the curve of transmission, but experts say further studies are necessary before coming to such a conclusion.“We can explain in the latest development that, particularly for Jakarta, the new cases have rapidly slowed down and flattened,” said COVID-19 task force chief Doni Monardo after a meeting with President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo on Monday.Doni, who also heads the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB), said the implementation of large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) in the capital city had contributed to that outcome.
Former Donegal manager Jim McGuinness says that the Sunday Game ‘had a constant agenda against Donegal’ during his tenure.After his first Championship game as the Donegal manager, a low-key win over Antrim in 2011, McGuinness blasted RTÉ’s pundits for their coverage of the game.Ryan Bradley was famously given a man of the match award on the basis that his display had been slightly better than the rest of the performers. ‘The best of a bad bunch,’ was how Pat Spillane called it at the time. “We just felt that after the game, particularly in relation to the man of the match Ryan Bradley that night on the Sunday Game, that he was disrespected,” McGuinness said after Donegal’s next game, a win over Cavan.”You can eulogize about Kerry and then talk about Dublin, the perennial chokers – but Donegal, just poke fun at them.”Donegal remained in the glare of the media and their story was one of the most fascinating of all time during McGuinness’s spell as manager.“I am far from the biggest fan of The Sunday Game. I felt that The Sunday Game had a constant agenda against Donegal when I was managing,” McGuinness, who has this week taken up a job as assistant manager to Roger Schmidt at Beijing Sinobo Guoan in China, wrote in his Irish Times column this week. “Its punditry did shape thought process around the country as to how we were perceived. But in reality, it meant nothing to what we did on the field.”McGuinness was writing about the recent furore over the reaction to Diarmuid Connolly’s 12-week suspension and Dublin manager Jim Gavin’s outburst against the Sunday Game.McGuinness wrote: “I feel that the Gavin’s comments bring the game into disrepute. To say that ‘there is no doubt in my mind’ that The Sunday Game panel influenced the decision is impossible to reconcile with what he must know to be the reality of the situation.“People have agendas and at certain times pundits do try to spin stories to create pressure or a certain perspective. People get hot under the collar and use it as energy and drive and to get the best out of themselves and spin it back again. So the media and ex-players in the media can have an influence.“But this was not one of those situations. The reality here was that Connolly shouldn’t have done what he did and anything said or not said on The Sunday Game could not change that fact one iota.” McGuinness said the video evidence against Connolly was ‘irrefutable’ and added: “He laid his hand on the official and by the letter of the law had to be hit with a suspension.”Sunday Game had ‘constant agenda against Donegal’ – Jim McGuinness was last modified: July 6th, 2017 by Chris McNultyShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:donegalJim McGuinnessPat SpillaneRTEryan bradleyThe Sunday Game