The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) reported 371 new coronavirus cases as of midnight Thursday, bringing the country’s total to 19,077, including 316 deaths.After using aggressive tracing and testing to contain a large outbreak earlier this year, South Korea suffered a setback this month after a church cluster spread to a political rally.Health authorities had reimposed Phase 2 social distancing rules on Aug. 16 in the Seoul metropolitan area, expanding the measures nationwide last week.Earlier this week, Seoul officials ordered the closure of most schools in the capital and surrounding areas. Seoul has also mandated that masks to be worn in both indoor and outdoor public places, and has ordered places like churches, nightclubs, karaoke bars and other high-risk venues closed. Topics : South Korean authorities stopped short of shifting the country up to the highest level of social distancing measures on Friday, despite recording another triple-digit increase in daily new coronavirus cases.Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun instead said the government would extend the current Phase 2 social distancing, which was due to expire this weekend, for at least another week.”Phase 3 social distancing is the choice of last resort given the economic and social ripple effect,” Chung said at a government meeting.
Press Association Asked how close he had come to taking Kingman out of the race, Gosden went on: “I was quite close. I walked the whole track and it was very debatable. The groundsman has done a fantastic job. “If they’d had a big handicap over that ground first I probably wouldn’t have run. They stayed just off the rail where they had raced in the sprint. It’s good track management and important when trying to run a Classic. “Drawn number one in a normal race you’d be concerned about getting boxed in, so when they came across it left him with a clear run and able to relax and come when he wanted. “I was talking to Frankie (Dettori) and James this morning and I told him to sit chilly and wait and wait. A mile was taking some getting in the conditions – he rode him beautifully.” Doyle, who is relatively new to the position of retained rider for Abdullah, said: “I’m delighted for the horse, he proved what a superstar he is today. The race worked out really nicely.” Kingman brought enlightenment to a rain-soaked afternoon at the Curragh with a spectacular victory in the Tattersalls Irish 2,000 Guineas. Trainer John Gosden revealed he had come “quite close” to taking the colt out of the Classic after a sustained spell of heavy showers had left conditions very testing. Luckily for his army of followers, Kingman was allowed to seize the opportunity with a performance which bristled with authority and class. Beaten into second in the Newmarket equivalent earlier this month, his backers never really had an anxious moment on this occasion as he travelled powerfully throughout in the hands of James Doyle. Kingman moved smoothly into contention from his early position in mid-division as the runners came over towards the near rail in the straight, and the response was immediate when Doyle pressed the button a furlong out. Sent off the 4-5 favourite, the son of Invincible Spirit powered through the mud to record a five-length verdict over the supplemented Shifting Power, trained by Richard Hannon. Mustajeeb finished third, another two lengths behind the exceptional winner, who will now renew rivalry with Hannon’s Newmarket Guineas winner Night Of Thunder in the St James’s Palace Stakes at Royal Ascot. Gosden said: “The track’s in pristine condition and he handled it very well. Two (furlongs) out, you could see he was cruising. He’s a very talented horse and it’s lovely to win a Guineas with him. “He’s a miler and it’s good fun because of Richard Hannon, who I’m very fond of. We’ve got some rivalry now as the score is 1-1, and he’ll go for the St James’s Palace now.” Teddy Grimthorpe, racing manager for Kingman’s owner Khalid Abdullah, said: “He travelled really well in the race and did it pretty comfortably. “Prince Khalid said we have to make this horse a Classic winner. This is a hugely important race for us. I would think we would be still thinking about the QEII (at Ascot) at the end of the year, but we’ve a few little obstacles to get past before then.”
MIAMI-DADE – Miami-Dade County Public Schools (MDCPS) Superintendent Alberto M. Carvalho has been reappointed by U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos to serve as a member of the 7-member National Assessment Governing Board (NAGB) from October 1, 2019, to September 30, 2023. Carvalho has served on the NAGB since 2015 and is the only Board member to have been reappointed.“The theory of action behind testing kids cannot be simply to report data; the end goal must be to improve teaching and learning,” said Carvalho. “I am deeply proud to continue being a part of this great work, and I thank Secretary DeVos for the reappointment.”NAGB was created by Congress in 1988 as an independent, nonpartisan board to set policy for the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), also known as The Nation’s Report Card. NAEP is the largest nationally representative, continuing evaluation of the condition of education in the United States. It has served as a national yardstick of student achievement since 1969. NAEP informs the public about what American students know and can do in various subject areas and compares achievement among states, large urban districts, and various student groups.NAEP offers to the public and to education policymakers at the national, state and local levels, objective data on student performance in nearly a dozen subjects. The information NAEP provides helps education stakeholders evaluate the progress of American education. The 26-member nonpartisan, independent Governing Board determines the subjects and content of NAEP tests, sets the achievement levels for reporting and publicly releases the results.Carvalho joined the Governing Board in 2015. As superintendent of MDCPS he leads the nation’s fourth-largest school system. During his tenure, MDCPS has become one of the nation’s highest-performing urban school systems, receiving systemwide accreditation from AdvancEd in 2014.
A member of Asante Kotoko’s Board of Directors, Kofi Amoa-Abban has confirmed the appointment of Nana Yaw Amponsah as the club’s Chief Executive Officer, tweeting a congratulatory message to the former Phar Rangers Chairman.Congratulations to Nana Yaw Amponsah, the new Chief Executive of our dear club Kumasi Asante Kotoko.Big responsibility but there’s no one better suited for this job than you.You have the full support of the Board.May God bless this partnership. #LetsMakeKotokoGreatAgain pic.twitter.com/qcJ3P2m48l— kofi Abban (@kofiAbban19) August 7, 2020Asante Kotoko are expected to officially unveil Amponsah later on Friday.Recent media reports reveal that the owner of Phar Rangers, Nana Yaw Amponsah will be the new Kotoko’s new CEO after the seat was vacated by George Amoako.According to reports by Ghanasportsonline, the CEO-imminent has stepped down as the President of Division One League side, Phar Rangers.Candidate at the 2019 Ghana Football Association Presidential Elections, Amponsah’s switch to Kotoko has been long coming, having attended an interview last month.The football administrator is believed to have already received an appointment letter from Manhyia to head the Club’s administrative work.Manhyia Palace settled on the fast-growing football guru after a meeting with the new board headed by the Club’s financier Dr Kwame Kyei.