Campus Dining unveils renovated side of North Dining Hall

first_imgSarah Olson | The Observer North Dining Hall hosts a test lunch Friday in its newly renovated north wing.“A lot of that is part of when you work with the University’s interior designer,” he said. “What’s interesting — and they were actually planning it — a lot of the style is what you’re going to see in the [Campus Crossroads] project. They’re like, ‘You guys are going to get to show it off first.’”Kachmarik said he is happy with the new contemporary look of the dining hall, which combines modern interior design with a practical layout.“I think [one] thing we’re hearing is it’s clean, it’s bright and people like the newness of it,” he said. “ … I think, though, in terms of what we’re hearing — what we wanted was, we wanted some feedback on the kind of overall things, but then we also wanted the feedback on making sure that we ensure that speed of service.”Campus Dining tested the efficiency of the new setup by hosting multiple test lunches throughout the semester and asking for feedback from those who attended, Kachmarik said.“The number one item that I think we’re going to have to figure out is we’re going to have to prepare students for the fact that there is no fro-yo,” he said. “ … As we live in this space for the next six weeks, even though it’s temporary, they’re going to give us, I think, some great feedback that we’ll then, hopefully, be able to incorporate in when we open in August.”Chris Abayasinghe, the senior director of Campus Dining, said he is happy with the way the project has progressed so far.“The NDH team, along with our committee composed of dedicated students, faculty and staff, worked closely on the various phases of the project,” he said in an email. “I’m pleased with the progress of the renovation and the investments being made in creating a dining experience that highlights the latest culinary trends and techniques.”Kachmarik said his main goal is to keep students moving through the dining hall quickly before focusing on improving the menu’s variety.“Right now, we’re actually in only one third of the serving [area], and we’ve maintained most of the menu,” he said. “So it’s really consolidated right now. And when you think about when we have the whole thing, it’s going to be really cool because we’ll have the different stations and a lot more options available. … So I will admit there’s less variety, there’s less choice, but I want to make sure we keep it speedy for the next six weeks. Because then, when we open up the whole thing, there will be lots of variety, and you’ll be able to get in and out pretty quickly.”Kachmarik emphasized that despite the fact that services are moving into the renovated side, it is still not fully complete.“On Monday, they’ll start the demolition and everything on [the south] side, and then we’ll go through finals, and then the entire dining hall will shut down,” he said. “And then, they’ll go back and they’ll start doing all this other stuff and work and everything that we have intended. It’s a lot of the detail stuff.”The next step in the renovations, Kachmarik said, will be turning most of the south side of the dining hall into a lobby and building a new entrance on the east side of the building.“There will be seating out there, lounge space, there [are] new restrooms that are going in and then we’ll actually have a marketplace,” he said. “So think about the current Grab ‘N’ Go — it will be in that corner, and we’ll have hot food and other things in there, as well. That whole lobby area will be something you’ll walk through, and we’re actually putting a new entrance in on the east side. … So you’ll start to see some work outside now, because they’ll start knocking out the wall in that corner to put the new entrance in.”Kachmarik said the athlete-specific dining area will be discontinued next year.“Training table, after this semester, will no longer be,” he said. “We are actually working with athletics and their dieticians, and what we’ll do is we will take their menus that they’ve been providing athletes, and put them out on the lines. Athletes and anybody [else] will now be able to eat those menus.”Any hiccups in adjusting to the renovated side of the dining hall will be worth it when the entire project is finished, Kachmarik said.“We just have to get through the next six weeks,” he said. “And then, in August, this place is going to be awesome.”Tags: Campus Crossroads, Campus DIning, Construction, Food Services, North Dining Hall, renovation, renovations Students flocked to North Dining Hall (NDH) at mealtimes after Campus Dining unveiled the renovated north side of the facility Sunday morning.Director of student dining and residences Scott Kachmarik said the revamped look of the dining hall — which includes booths, high top tables and several other varieties of seating options — serves as a preview of the Campus Crossroads project.last_img read more

Infantino defends Swiss Attorney General meetings at FIFA Congress

first_img “I thought I could do it, but it was not possible, you have to deal with your past. “That is why two days ago I was meeting the US Attorney General to prove we don’t want to go back to our past, to prove FIFA has been reformed and to express our gratitude that at the time the DOJ saved FIFA from itself while others were standing there watching. read also:FIFA members set to gather online for first virtual Congress “We will continue to fight against corruption in football and will cooperate with authorities all over the world that will help us save and reform football. “Today I am more convinced that ever to fight for these values. “Eventually those who have made up conspiracy theories to damage us will be victims to their own schemes, they will reveal themselves.” FIFA’s 70th Congress also approved a revised four-year budget after predicting a $120 million (£91 million/€102 million) drop in revenue until 2022. The reducation of $120 million in revenue is expected as a result of the coronavirus crisis, which the governing body largely attributes to the non-staging of the FIFA Confederations Cup. As part of its COVID-19 relief plan, FIFA is planning to release $1.5 billion (£1.1 billion/€1.3 billion) in funding to ease financial concerns in football across the world. Among the key decisions taken at the Congress was the approval of a rule change regarding player’s eligibility to compete for a second national team. The change will enable players to switch eligibility provided they have played a maximum of three times for their first national team, including tournament qualification games, before they turned 21. Their last appearance for their first national team would have had to have been three years earlier. Players would not be able to change nationality had they represented their nation at a major tournament, such as the FIFA World Cup. Statute changes that allowed for FIFA’s Congress to be staged “by teleconference, by videoconference or by another means of communication” were also passed. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 FIFA President Gianni Infantino again defended his meetings with Swiss Attorney General Michael Lauber at the worldwide governing body’s virtual Congress. Criminal proceedings were opened against Infantino in Switzerland in July over dealings with Lauber. The case centres on undocumented meetings that Lauber and Infantino are alleged to have held in 2016 and 2017. Infantino was cleared of any wrongdoing by FIFA’s Ethics Commission, which launched and closed a preliminary investigation into the meetings. He has claimed the meetings with Lauber “were in no way secret and most certainly not illegal”, and said he was seeking to assist authorities with investigating past wrongdoings at FIFA. Infantino cited his recent meeting with United States Attorney General William Barr as an example, claiming he used the opportunity to personally thank the US Department of Justice (DOJ) for their efforts to combat corruption in football. The Swiss official said meetings with authorities show attempts from the “new FIFA” to deal with the past. “In Switzerland, as you know, an investigation has been opened with regard of a few meetings between myself and the Swiss Attorney General, three or four years ago,” Infantino said. “Meetings include the Attorney General of Switzerland, meetings that were meant to define and make clear the new FIFA was miles, worlds away, from the old FIFA. “Don’t forget FIFA became victim to corrupt officials, that is what courts say all over the world. “FIFA is still suffering from that. “In 2015 FIFA was considered toxic and pronounced dead, an organisation that served itself from football rather than serving football. “It was my duty to meet with the Swiss Attorney General, I had to do my due diligence because I wanted to liberate FIFA from those old, toxic values. “No organisation can be led into the future if you do not resolve the past. Loading… center_img Promoted Content8 Shows That Overstayed Their Welcome6 Incredibly Strange Facts About Hurricanes8 Ways Drones Will Automate Our FutureYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of Anime8 Superfoods For Growing Hair Back And Stimulating Its Growth8 Things You Didn’t Know About CoffeeWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?14 Hilarious Comics Made By Women You Need To Follow Right NowWho’s The Best Car Manufacturer Of All Time?Which Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?Why Do So Many Digital Assistants Have Feminine Names & Voices?What Happens To Your Brain When You Play Too Much Video Games?last_img read more