iStock/onlyyouqj(WASHINGTON) — An ABC News joint investigation with its owned television stations sheds new light on the likely flow of the coronavirus from global hotspots into the U.S. and provides a glimpse the toll the virus has taken on some of the first Americans to interact with international travelers: airport workers.From December through March, as the outbreak ravaged China, more than 3,200 flights left the Asian nation on direct routes to at least 20 cities across the U.S., according to an ABC News analysis of more than 20 million flight records obtained from the tracking service Flightradar-24.While it is unclear the precise number of passengers into the U.S. who were infected with the coronavirus, medical experts told ABC News such a huge pool of people virtually assures that a number had the highly contagious disease.“In the case of coronavirus, you have the interface of a virus that spreads this quickly,” Dr. John Brownstein, an epidemiologist at Boston’s Children’s Hospital and ABC News contributor said.Brownstein said that such massive travel meant that the flow of the virus into the U.S. and other countries probably came quickly after it began spreading quickly in China. “So our view is that even as early as January, we were seeing introductions of cases happening globally and specifically in the U.S.,” he said.According to travel data previously obtained by ABC News, those flights translate to more than 761,000 Chinese nationals entering the U.S. and Americans returning home from the People’s Republic during that critical period.The analysis of every individual flight record shows that more than 1,000 flights went to Los Angeles and nearly 500 each landed in San Francisco and New York – all three among the eventual hot spots of the COVID-19 outbreak in the U.S. More than 100 flights from China arrived in each of six other American cities: Chicago, Seattle, Detroit, Dallas, Washington, D.C., and Newark, N.J.The flow of these passengers into these key cities, offer a window on how the virus may have quickly spread across the U.S.Among the flights were 50 direct from Wuhan, the Chinese metropolis where the outbreak is believed to have started. Twenty-seven of those flights went to San Francisco and 23 to New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport. The last flights from Wuhan came in early February, when the Trump Administration imposed restrictions on flights from China to the U.S.But this new passenger and travel data obtained by ABC News revealed by the time the president took his action – which administration officials say saved lives – some of the damage had already been done.The first coronavirus case in the U.S. was reported in Washington state in late January, before cases followed days later in Arizona and California. In each of those cases, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said the infected individuals had been in Wuhan recently.But the spread of the virus person-to-person domestically since has made tracing the origin of particular outbreaks in many American cities more difficult.“The United States banned travel to China 12 days after the world heard there was an outbreak of severe pneumonia in Wuhan. … The problem was, it was too late,” said Dr. Todd Ellerin, chief of Infectious Disease at South Shore Health and an ABC News consultant. “Even though there had only been 12 confirmed cases in the U.S. on the day President Trump announces the travel ban, the reality was there were many more unconfirmed cases.”The flights from China weren’t the only ones coming from airports in international hotspots for the COVID-19 outbreak. ABC News also analyzed thousands more flights during the period from Italy and Spain, which had the highest numbers of cases outside the U.S. by the end of March.From December through March 30, 353,000 foreign nationals and Americans entered the U.S. from Italy. Another 456,547 came from Spain.“Clearly, some portion of those were infected either with mild symptoms or asymptomatic. We were seeding this epidemic in many places, but flying blind because we weren’t doing the adequate testing that was needed,” Brownstein said.More than 1,400 direct flights from Italy landed in U.S. cities from December to March, including more than 500 in February and March as that country was becoming an international focal point for the worldwide pandemic. Another 2,255 flights from Spain landed in U.S. cities.The federal government shut down most flights from Europe in mid-March, but by then hundreds of flights from Italy had gone into New York and Miami. Nearly 100 of the Italy-to-Miami flights happened over six weeks in February and early March before the U.S. imposed restrictions. March’s flights from Italy also went to large airports in Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston, Atlanta, Newark, Los Angeles and Columbus, Ohio.Also in March, more than 400 flights left Spain for 12 American cities. Close to half of those flights landed at two New York City region airports: JFK and Newark Liberty. More than 100 went to Miami. Dallas, Chicago and Los Angeles each took in at least two dozen direct flights from Spain in March.The flights directly from China, Italy and Spain reached at least 15 states. Additionally, during the same period, the cities that took in at least 100 flights from China, Italy and Spain were the starting point for flights to every state in the country — potentially exasperating the domestic spread.And there is evidence that the travel flow may have had direct impact on the country’s airport personnel.More than 320 Transportation Security Administration and Customs and Border Protection personnel have tested positive for coronavirus, according to data obtained by ABC News. The number of affected airport security workers corresponds with hotspots, though it’s unclear if the workers contracted the virus from their duties or from other person-to-person contact.Of the Customs and Border protection personnel that tested positive, 52, were from New York ports of entry, 20 were from Miami and Ft. Lauderdale airports and facilities, 10 from Los Angeles work sites and 10 from New Jersey.The analysis of international flights excluded more than 1,000 routes by cargo haulers and hundreds of additional flights into Alaska, where it could not be determined with certainty whether the flights – mostly from China – carried cargo, passengers or both. Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.
Associated British Foods (ABF) has said the UK bakery market “remains intensely competitive” and expects Kingsmill owner Allied Bakeries’ profit to be lower than last year as a result. ABF’s preclosing statement for its interim results to 28 February 2015 comes after the price of several branded and supermarket own-brand loaves were slashed to just 75p. Last week Sainsbury’s cut the price of 800g Hovis white and wholemeal and 750g Best of Both loaves to 75p, as well as nine of its own-label loaves from 75p to 55p, according to British Baker’s sister title The Grocer.The statement said: “The UK bakery market remains intensely competitive, with a combination of over-capacity in the industry driving manufacturers towards marginal pricing, and retailers seeking to prove their value credentials in essential shopping items such as bread. “As retailers drive for value and range simplification, already tight margins have come under further pressure and Allied Bakeries’ profit will be lower than last year as a result.”Elsewhere, ABF reported that its underlying trading remained in line with expectations, with revenue from its sugar segment “substantially lower” than last year in the first half of the year, though profitability is expected to be close to break-even. EU sugar prices have been lower in the period leading to lower revenues and margins for both the UK and Spain, though there has been some stabilisation of late. AB Sugar has focused on managing its cost base with improvement programmes across all businesses, overhead reduction and lower beet and cane costs.A “marginal decline” is expected in adjusted earnings per share for the group for the full year.Since its acquisition last October, Dorset Cereals has traded well and its integration with Jordans Ryvita is on track.ABF’s interim results to 28 February 2015 are scheduled to be announced on 21 April.
Related Shows View Comments Star Files Bryce Ryness in ‘Matilda'(Photo: Joan Marcus) There’s a new Trunchbull in town! Bryce Ryness starts performances in Matilda on June 7, succeeding Christopher Sieber, who played his final performance on June 5; Sieber is set to move on to the world premiere of the much-buzzed about The Prom. The delightfully naughty tuner is playing at the Shubert Theatre through January 1, 2017.Ryness joins the Broadway company after originating the role of Trunchbull on the first National tour. His other Broadway credits include Hair, First Date, Leap of Faith and Legally Blonde. Off-Broadway, he’s premiered and/or originated roles in Long Story Short, Fly by Night, See Rock City & Other Destinations, Around the World in 80 Days and Crossing Brooklyn. Ryness’ screen credits include Tangled, Sacrifice, Law & Order: SVU, Peter Pan Live!, It Could Be Worse, Submissions Only, Political Animals and Just for Kicks.Based on the beloved Roald Dahl novel of the same name, Matilda is the story of an extraordinary girl who dreams of a better life. Armed with a vivid imagination and a sharp mind, Matilda dares to take a stand and change her destiny. Directed by Tony and Olivier Award winner Matthew Warchus, the musical features a book by Dennis Kelly and music and lyrics by Tim Minchin.In addition to Ryness, the cast currently includes Allison Case as Miss Honey, Amy Spanger as Mrs. Wormwood, Rick Holmes as Mr. Wormwood and Natalie Venetia Belcon as Mrs. Phelps. Ava Briglia, Aviva Winick and Willow McCarthy share the title role.The Olivier-winning London production of Matilda continues to run at the West End’s Cambridge Theatre. Bryce Ryness Show Closed This production ended its run on Jan. 1, 2017 Matilda
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisALPENA, Mich. — The APlex in Alpena will soon be upgrading it’s facilities to include artificial turf. Athletes in the area will have the opportunity to participate in sports usually played only in the warmer months. This includes soccer, baseball, softball, and more.Facility Manager, Norm Sommerfeld says this new surface is going to keep those who play these sports on their game. “Our kids kind of get cheated out of a lot of time on baseball and softball fields and soccer fields waiting for winter to end,” he said. “This is going to give them an opportunity starting in October all the way through until they can get on their normal fields for their normal season.”Along with these sports, Sommerfeld explained that the new surface will support a number of other activities as well. “There’s many things that we can do on it. We can have family reunions. We even have a cheerleader camp that’s talking about coming. It’s going to add a whole new bunch of clients to this place and some of them have never ever been here before.”The new surface will be available for rent on weekends. It’s still being set up, but Sommerfeld added that they’re just waiting for some tools to arrive and he’s looking for it to be ready by Feb. 28.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThis Tags: Alpena AplexContinue ReadingPrevious Oscoda-Wurtsmith airport named top contender for future space launchNext Alpena DDA hosting Leap Day festivities for a chance to win local prizes