LAPD response at immigration protest under investigation

first_imgAuthorities are investigating the Los Angeles Police Department response to unrest at the end of an immigration rights march Tuesday evening. A day of mostly calm rallies in L.A. and nationwide ended with a clash at MacArthur Park in which officers fired rubber bullets and used batons against demonstrators, including members of the media. Police promised to review the use of force. Several people, including about a dozen officers, were hurt during skirmishes at the park. About 10 people were taken to hospitals for treatment of injuries including cuts, authorities said. None of the injuries was believed to be serious. At least one person was arrested, Officer Mike Lopez said late Tuesday. “Any time that our law enforcement officials employ force, the public has an absolute and unqualified right to expect and demand an aggressive review of the facts. This review is already under way,” Villaraigosa said in a statement. The incident started after 6 p.m. when police tried to disperse demonstrators who had moved off the sidewalk onto the street. Authorities said several people of the few thousand still at the rally threw rocks and bottles at officers, who fired rubber bullets and used batons to push the crowd back onto the sidewalk. “(Police) started moving in and forcing them out of the park, people with children, strollers,” said Angela Sambrano, director of the Central American Resource Center. Maria Elena Durazo, the executive secretary-treasurer at the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, said the trouble was instigated by “a group of anarchists, not associated with the rally.” She also criticized the police response, saying the rubber bullets were fired on a peaceful crowd with little warning. Bratton said “certain elements of the crowd” started the disturbance, but the “vast, vast majority of the people who were here were behaving appropriately.” Late Tuesday he promised an investigation to “determine if the use of force was appropriate.” In an interview early this morning with KNX radio, Bratton said “some of what I’ve seen as chief of the department does not look appropriate.” The department said it would review the incident at a news conference later today. The Los Angeles Police Protective League issued a statement saying the incident began when officers tried to disperse demonstrators who has moved off the sidewalk and onto the street. “Several people at the rally threw rocks and bottles at officers,” league President Bob Baker said in the statement. “Our officers gave a legal dispersal order and were met with violence. In the coming days it will become clear what transpired. Until then, there should be no rush to judgement.” The Radio and Television News Association of Southern California called for an investigation into “violent treatment of journalists.” “There is evidence that officers knocked reporters to the ground, used batons on photographers and damaged cameras, possibly motivated by anger over journalists photographing efforts by officers to control the movements of marchers,” an RTNA statement said. Spanish-language TV station Telemundo said one of its reporters and three camera operators had been injured and taken to the hospital by police. Fox 11 aired video of a station camerawoman apparently being struck by a baton-wielding police officer in riot gear. A reporter for KPCC public radio said on the air this morning that she was hit twice by police, even though she was wearing a press pass and told the officer repeatedly that she was with the media. She was treated at a local hospital.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! As images of the marchers and journalists being pushed and prodded by Los Angeles police officers flashed across television and computer screens today, the City Council called for an investigation and account of what happened. Concerned the incident could trigger more violent confrontations with police, the council passed an emergency motion asking the Police Commission and Chief William Bratton to come to City Council chambers and publicly share the results of the investigation. “The urgency is that we need to step up and show that we are taking this seriously and we are going to look at this thoroughly,” said Councilman Jose Huizar, who co-sponsored the motion with Councilmen Ed Reyes and Jack Weiss. “If we don’t, there’s a possibility that other incidents, such as the one we saw last night on TV clips, may occur again. I don’t want that on my conscience. I don’t want anybody else to get hurt.” From San Salvador, where he’s traveling for city business, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said he is also deeply concerned with the images he has seen from the incident and has asked Police Commission President John Mack and Chief William Bratton to oversee and ensure a thorough investigation. last_img read more

COLEMAN CAN BECOME WORLD CLASS AT EVERTON – ROBERTO MARTINEZ

first_imgEverton manager Roberto Martinez has hit back at claims by former Manchester United legend Denis Irwin that Seamus Coleman has to leave Everton to further his career.Irwin feels Coleman has to be playing at the highest level in Europe consistently in order for the full-back to develop into a world-class talent.However, Toffees manager Martinez refuted those claims and says Coleman can become world-class at Goodison Park. Martinez said, “He (Irwin) is making a judgement about a player who is very important for us.“I still think Seamus Coleman can develop and progress with Everton.“At the moment he is enjoying his football, I think he has an important role in our side and I think this is the best place for him to develop and fulfil his potential.“He is a world-class footballer in the way he performed last season.” COLEMAN CAN BECOME WORLD CLASS AT EVERTON – ROBERTO MARTINEZ was last modified: February 11th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Everton FCnewsseamus colemanSportlast_img read more