Robert Glasper Announces Month-Long Blue Note Residency

first_imgToday, multiple Grammy-winning pianist Robert Glasper has announced an unprecedented month-long residency New York City’s iconic Blue Note Jazz Club. The run is set to run from October 2nd through October 28th, spanning 24 nights and 48 shows (two per night; one at 8 and one at 10:30).Robert Glasper’s Blue Note residency will feature a host of talented guests from the contemporary music world including Bilal, Terrace Martin, Christian McBride, Christian Scott, aTunde Adujah, Nicholas Payton, Chris Dave, Taylor McFerrin, Derrick Hodge, Kendrick Scott, Michael Moreno, Burniss Travis, Walter Smith, Rodney Green, Justin Tyson, and more to be announced.The extended New York stint will also include a number of special performances, including R+R=Now (featuring Terrace Martin, Christian Scott, aTunde Adujah, Derrick Hodge, Taylor McFerrin, and Justin Tyson), a tribute to Miles Davis dubbed Everything’s Beautiful, a tribute to Mulgrew Miller, and more. Additional special performances during the residency will be announced in the coming weeks.As Glasper tells Billboard about the residency,First of all, I couldn’t do this anywhere else. I came to New York tracking other people’s footsteps — and now it’s me and the musicians that I came up with who are making footprints for the next generation to follow. New York is the reason everything popped off for me. It’s the only place in the world with this heavy traffic of quintessential, true jazz and quintessential, true hip hop; the only place I could have met these people and made this music. …So I wanted to make this month about pulling together the threads of my tribes… because I was in the right places at the right times, and the wrong places at the right times! And because of that we made a sound that infected the world. So I’m taking over the Blue Note to tell that story; my music milestones, in the place it all began. And I’m mad excited for it. See below for the full schedule of shows and the currently confirmed themes and nightly lineups. For more information, head to the Blue Note website here.Robert Glasper Blue Note NYC Residency ScheduleOctober 2-7: Robert Glasper with Chris Dave & Derrick HodgeOctober 9-10: Robert Glasper: Houston Nights featuring Kendrick Scott, Michael Moreno, Burniss Travis & Walter SmithOctober 11-14: TO BE ANNOUNCEDOctober 16-17: Robert Glasper with Christian McBride & Nicholas PaytonOctober 18-21: Robert Glasper: Miles Davis Tribute “Everything’s Beautiful” with BilalOctober 23-24: Robert Glasper: Mulgrew Miller Tribute featuring Derrick Hodge & Rodney GreenOctober 25-28: Robert Glasper: R+R=NOW featuring Terrace Martin, Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah, Derrick Hodge, Taylor McFerrin & Justin TysonView All Residency Dateslast_img read more

Suffolk Cops Save Unconscious Woman, 67, from Burning House

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Three Suffolk County police officers rescued an unconscious woman from a burning house in Brentwood late Thursday night. The Third Precinct officers, Jesse Zuckerman, Darrell Randolph, and Ronald Racioppi, responded to a 911 call shortly before midnight reporting a fire at 11 8th Avenue in Brentwood, police said. By the time officers arrived the house had already been fully engulfed in flames. They were met by a 71-year-old man yelling in Spanish that his wife was still inside the burning house, police said. Officer Randolph understood enough of what the man was saying, and the three officers sprang into action, despite the heat and smoke. Battling low visibility, the trio was approximately 15 from the front door when they spotted the woman’s foot, which they grabbed. They then picked her up by her arms and carried her outside, where they administered oxygen. The woman was going in and out of consciousness by the time the Brentwood Fire Department arrived. The three officers were in and out of the house in 35 seconds, police said. The woman, who was not identified, was transported to Southside Hospital in Bay Shore for treatment of smoke inhalation. Along with the woman’s husband, four downstairs tenants—two adults and two children—safely evacuated and were not injured, police said. Brentwood firefighters responded and extinguished the blaze. Police did not immediately release a cause of the fire. Arson detectives are investigating the incident, but police said the blaze appears to be “non-criminal” at this time.last_img read more

New TOMAS research is underway: Thomas Summer and Nautics

first_imgIn 2017, the Institute for Tourism again conducted surveys of attitudes and consumption of tourists in Croatia, the TOMAS Summer survey was conducted for the tenth time (last survey was conducted in 2014), and the TOMAS Nautika Jahting survey for the fifth time (last survey was conducted in 2012) . TOMAS research is extremely important for understanding the current state of the entire tourist product, profile and behavior of tourists as well as the most important tourist consumption.The TOMAS Summer 2017 survey is conducted from June to October, in all coastal counties, in more than 70 places on the coast and islands, in hotels, camps and private accommodation, on a sample of about 5.000 respondents, domestic and foreign guests. The research collects information on the socio-demography of our guests, the characteristics of their stay and travel in Croatia, and consumption and satisfaction with the 34 elements of the offer.“We believe that, as before, this research will enable us to obtain a rich informative picture of our guests so that all those who create and promote tourism products, as well as tourism policy makers, can make decisions about the need for innovation or change. tourism market preferences. We thank the Ministry of Tourism of the Republic of Croatia, the Croatian National Tourist Board and all tourist boards that finance this research. We also thank the employees of all hotels, camps, marinas, port authorities and the owners of private accommodation in which this year’s TOMAS research will be conducted for their help and cooperation. ” stand out from the Institute of Tourism. On the other hand, from July to October, the TOMAS Nautika Yachting 2017 survey is conducted – Attitudes and consumption of boaters in Croatia, in 28 marinas and eight ports open to public traffic along the coast and on the islands, sailors-yachtsmen on their own vessels and those on charter are surveyed. Previous research was conducted in 2001, 2004, 2007 and 2012 and thus seeks to maintain the continuity of this research which collects data on nautical tourism that are not available from other sources – sociodemographic profile of sailors, characteristics of their travel / navigation, costs for travel / sailing time and attitudes about the nautical and overall tourist offer of Croatia.Data will be collected during July, August, September and October, and the results of the survey will be presented to the public in December this year. You can find the results of the latest TOMAS nautical survey from 2012 herelast_img read more

Magic Johnson: Zack Greinke is Dodgers’ top priority

first_imgAfter introducing new manager Dave Roberts on Tuesday, Dodgers co-owner Magic Johnson said that re-signing Zack Greinke is the team’s top priority this winter.“I think we all want him back,” Johnson said. “But if somebody comes in and does something that is off the charts and we don’t match that, then, you know, he leaves. We want him back. He’s our priority — our number one priority in the offseason.”Greinke recently opted out of a contract that would have paid him a guaranteed $77 million over the next three seasons. He and left-handed pitcher David Price were perceived to be at the head of a free-agent class that was heavy on mid-tier starting pitchers.One of those mid-tier pitchers, Jordan Zimmermann, signed a five-year, $110 million contract with the Detroit Tigers on Monday. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error On Wednesday, Price reportedly signed a seven-year, $217 million contract with the Boston Red Sox. Once official, the contract would make Price the highest-paid pitcher in baseball. Greinke is 32, two years older than Price, but is thought to be seeking a contract that pays a similar or greater average annual value ($31 million).Because he rejected the Dodgers’ qualifying offer in October, Greinke would cost most teams a first-round pick in the 2016 draft if they sign him — in addition to the money. Price didn’t cost the Red Sox a draft pick because he was traded from the Tigers to the Blue Jays during the 2015 season. That makes any comparison of his value to Price’s contract inexact.Regardless, the financial commitment will be large to whichever team signs Greinke. The right-hander was the runner-up for the National League Cy Young Award after going 19-3 with a major-league leading 1.66 ERA in 2015.“We’re going to put in our bid just like other teams will, but he’s our priority,” Johnson said. “We like that one-two punch that we have with him and Clayton (Kershaw). We have a lot of resources, yes, and we’re using them to make our team better.”center_img The winning bid could be revealed soon. According to multiple reports, Greinke could have a five- or six-year deal signed by week’s end. The Giants are reportedly the Dodgers’ top rival to sign Greinke.Newcombe recoveringDon Newcombe, the Dodgers’ 89-year-old special advisor and former star pitcher, is resting comfortably at home after a brief health scare. According to eyewitnesses, Newcombe appeared to lose consciousness at Roberts’ introductory press conference. A team spokesman said that Newcombe was transported by ambulance to a hospital.In early July, Newcombe was hospitalized for two days after becoming ill at the stadium.Newcombe pitched for the Brooklyn and Los Angeles Dodgers from 1949-51 and 1954-58 after missing two seasons while serving in the military during the Korean War. He was one of the first blacks to play for the franchise, along with Jackie Robinson and Roy Campanella.He had 149-90 record with 1,129 strikeouts and a 3.56 ERA. Newcombe was a four-time NL All-Star and pitched in three World Series.Puig investigationMajor League Baseball is investigating Yasiel Puig’s role in a bar fight Wednesday in Miami. Dodgers president Andrew Friedman said he expects to hear from the league next week, though the league has no specific timetable to complete its investigation.In the meantime, Friedman has reached out to Puig’s representatives but hasn’t spoken to the outfielder directly.MLB’s domestic violence policy stipulates that a player can be placed on “paid administrative leave” for up to seven days during an investigation, which is not applicable out-of-season. The time frame for the investigation itself can last longer. Eyewitnesses told police that Puig got into a verbal argument with his sister at the Blue Martini Lounge in Miami on Wednesday before punching a bouncer.AlsoThe Dodgers re-signed pitcher Joe Wieland, who was eligible for arbitration. … MLB’s tender/non-tender deadline is today. Eight Dodgers will remain eligible for arbitration if they are not non-tendered: Luis Avilan, A.J. Ellis, Yasmani Grandal, Chris Hatcher, Kenley Jansen, Juan Nicasio, Justin Turner and Scott Van Slyke. … Friedman said that Kershaw did not tell him to trade Puig in order to improve the club, which Van Slyke’s father alleged in a recent radio interview. Andy Van Slyke is a former player and coach who has never worked for the Dodgers.last_img read more

GOLDEN GATE FIELDS FORCED TO SWITCH RACES 10 & 12 FROM TURF TO MAIN TRACK AS JOCKEYS CITE UNSAFE TURF CONDITIONS

first_imgALBANY, Calif. (June 12, 2016)–Following today’s ninth race, jockeys informed Golden Gate Fields management that they refused to ride the 10th and 12th races, citing unsafe turf course conditions. Accordingly, Golden Gate management switched Sunday’s 10th and 12th races to the main track, which necessitated that both races be considered “no contest,” resulting in an “all” payout for Pick Six wagering purposes.Today’s net pool and carryover was paid as a single price pool to tickets with the most winners in accordance with CHRB regulations.“We are truly sorry and we understand that this is a very disappointing outcome for our horseplayers and fans that participated so enthusiastically here on closing day,” said Joe Morris, Senior Vice President, West Coast Operations for The Stronach Group. “We did not agree the turf course was unsafe and we were disappointed the jockeys didn’t communicate with us earlier. However, after the jockeys informed us about their concerns, we had no choice but to make the surface change to our main track.“The safety of our athletes, both human and equine, is always our top priority.”last_img read more

Saganash says he wont get squeezed out in crowded NDP leadership field

first_imgAPTN National NewsNDP leadership candidate Romeo Saganash says he’s getting more support as the days and months go by.The Cree MP from northern Quebec is running for the leadership of the NDP.Saganash worked on the landmark agreement between the James Bay Cree and the Quebec government and he was a key negotiator of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.APTN National News reporter Donna Smith sat down with the leadership candidate to talk about his campaign.last_img