Nelson Selects teams off to BC Provincial B Cup — Erickson powers U14 boys past Kootenay East

first_imgKeegan Carmichael and Linden Jones also scored for the Selects.”The entire team played well,” said the team spokesperson.”Defensive stand-outs were Quinn Tondu-MacDonald at centerback position and keeper Finnegan Megale, who earned the shutout.”Nelson advanced to the final by stopping Kootenay South of Trail/Castlegar/Fruitvale in a two-game total goals series.The Selects won the opener 2-1 before blasting Kootenay South 5-0 on the road in Trail.Also advancing to the BC Provincial B Cup were the U13 Boys, defeating Kootenay East of Cranbrook 5-0; U15 Boys; U16 Boys, edging Kootenay East 2-0; and U18 Boys, thumping Invermere 5-0.The U14 Girls got past Kootenay East 4-1 while the U16 Girls and U18 Girls received a bye into the provincial tournament. Matt Erickson scored three times to power the Nelson Selects past Kootenay East Friday in U14 Boy’s Kootenay Provincial B Soccer Playdowns Friday in Cranbrook.The Select represent the Kootenay Zone at the Les Sinnott Memorial Boys Provincial Cup July 7-10 in West Vancouver.After playing to a scoreless tie in the first half, Nelson picked up the pace as Erickson opened the scoring and Selects never looked back.last_img read more

GOLDEN GATE FIELDS FORCED TO SWITCH RACES 10 & 12 FROM TURF TO MAIN TRACK AS JOCKEYS CITE UNSAFE TURF CONDITIONS

first_imgALBANY, Calif. (June 12, 2016)–Following today’s ninth race, jockeys informed Golden Gate Fields management that they refused to ride the 10th and 12th races, citing unsafe turf course conditions. Accordingly, Golden Gate management switched Sunday’s 10th and 12th races to the main track, which necessitated that both races be considered “no contest,” resulting in an “all” payout for Pick Six wagering purposes.Today’s net pool and carryover was paid as a single price pool to tickets with the most winners in accordance with CHRB regulations.“We are truly sorry and we understand that this is a very disappointing outcome for our horseplayers and fans that participated so enthusiastically here on closing day,” said Joe Morris, Senior Vice President, West Coast Operations for The Stronach Group. “We did not agree the turf course was unsafe and we were disappointed the jockeys didn’t communicate with us earlier. However, after the jockeys informed us about their concerns, we had no choice but to make the surface change to our main track.“The safety of our athletes, both human and equine, is always our top priority.”last_img read more

Laurie Foster: Protecting Fuller’s legacy

first_imgLast Saturday, Manchester High School hosted the fourth staging of the Charlie Fuller Memorial field events meet. It was founded through the concept to relive the memory of a man who gave sterling support to track and field at the mid-island institution. The chief person who conceptualised the meet, still the engine that drives the event, is the former outstanding sprinter out of the neighbouring parish’s St Elizabeth Technical High School, Carlos Samuels. Issues of coaching leadership at the school have led Samuels elsewhere. Although he works assiduously to ensure otherwise, there is no doubt that the image of the event, could be tarnished. Fuller was a sporting personality, whose contribution to the upliftment and empowerment of the female track and field programme at Manchester High knew no limits. However, there were no geographic boundaries. This columnist recalls a trip to visit the Falmouth home of a girl from Vere Technical, who had been granted a track scholarship, just to offer congratulations and wish bon voyage. MEMORABLE SUNDAY Then came the thought that her younger teammate, slightly errant at times, would benefit from the trip as a motivational tool. The fact that the latter miss lived in Kingston was no hurdle. The stout-hearted benefactor, as was Fuller, journeyed from his Manchester home to the city, collected the young athlete, drove to Trelawny for the visit, returned to Kingston for the drop-off, and made his way home all in one memorable Sunday. The incidents of selflessness, displaying single-minded dedication to the female athletes at “Chester” were numerous. The accompanying, domestic deprivation is best described by his devoted wife, Olive. With what Mr Fuller gave to Manchester High during the years he substantially funded the track and field programme the areas of controversy surrounding the introduction and subsequent staging of the meet are unfortunate. There is a threatening situation that needs to be set right if the memory of the peaceful and non-contentious individual is to be adequately maintained. As this column is being written, former head coach Samuels has taken up duties at a Kingston school. This as the Mandeville school administration ponders an altercation between his assistant, Rahnsomn Edwards, and him. Reports are that there was a physical confrontation and both were placed on suspension. Previous to that development, former head coach Jerry Holness returned from stints overseas and resumed his position, displacing Samuels, who, from all reports, had endeared himself to the athletes. Tales of a fallout in enthusiasm are rife a testimony to the influence Samuels had, and presumably, still has, even from a position external to the programme. Holness, now seemingly firmly in the saddle, has gone for another experienced coach as his assistant in Duane Jarrett. Jarrett was his deputy in the first overseas stint in Dubai. CLOUDS OF UNCERTAINTY With so many offers for Samuels’ talent as a coach and motivator of athletes, it is unlikely that his services will again be available to the Manchester team. What seems more likely is that with or without his invitation, some will want to take up residence within his new programme if logistically permissible. With all these clouds of uncertainty, where does this leave the event held to commemorate the excellence promoted and sustained by Fuller that was Manchester High School under his canopy of passionate support and stewardship? It must be remembered that even the inception of the event was contested by the organisers of the long-standing JAAA/Puma Invitational, held simultaneously crosstown at Kirkvine. They were not amused that competition would be coming from persons who once were aligned to their event. It is to the credit of the opposing parties and some fruitful dialogue following disruptive stand-offs that good sense triumphed and they can now coexist. An existing destructive culture may not allow this harmony to persist. Whatever happens, the CFMFEM should not suffer. The legacy of Charlie, his spirit of goodwill and malice to no one, need to be sustained. Foster’s Fairplay issues a fervent call for constant interaction with the parties to lift and sustain the positive direction in which the meet is now trending. It is incumbent on these stakeholders to ensure that this takes place. Do not allow the memory of this great man to be sullied in any way. – For Feedback, email: lauriefoster2012@gmail.comlast_img read more

UAAP 80 Volleyball Preview: UP Maroons to rely on solid core under new coach

first_imgThat is how new head coach Godfrey Okumu is treating the competition this season in his first year at helm.“All the teams have the same aim,” said Okumu, who replaced former mentor Jerry Yee. “Everybody wants to win, so I cannot say this team is strong or this team is weak. We are after the same thing.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkBut he can say for sure that UP is not to be messed with.“We are also a team that should be reckoned with just like any other team,” he said. Newsome sets focus on helping Bolts open new PBA season on right track Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Harden has first 60-point triple-double in NBA history FILE – UP Lady Maroons. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netHead coach: Godfrey OkumuLast season: 7-7Key holdovers: Ayel Estrañero, Isa Molde, Diana Carlos, Justine DorogKey losses: Nicole Tiamzon, Pia Gaiser, Kathy BersolaUniversity of the Philippines is heading into UAAP Season 80 bearing in mind that all teams are on equal footing.ADVERTISEMENT The Lady Maroons are hoping to return to the Final Four this year, after a failed bid in Season 79 where they enjoyed a blistering  4-0 start before dropping four straight games then settling for a 7-7 record.Okumu will rely on the team’s core that has been together for three years with the likes of Ayel Estrañero, Diana Carlos, Isa Molde, and Justine Dorog leading the Lady Fighting Maroons.One of the things that Okumu brings to the table, meanwhile, is his mastery of quick adjustments.“I don’t want to plan too much, and when the day comes, the opponents could change the way they play,” said Okumu. “So more often than not, I play it like a chess game. You make your move then I make my move.”ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award LATEST STORIES Nueva Ecija warehouse making fake cigarettes raided, 29 Chinese workers nabbed OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson View comments OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Almazan vows to comeback stronger after finals heartbreak Nonito Donaire vs Naoya Inoue is BWAA 2019 Fight of the Year Michael Porter Jr. stays patient as playing time increaseslast_img read more

Police hunting man who threatened wife

first_imgPolice are on the hunt for a 25-year-old man who threatened to kill his wife, and who assaulted his mother-in-law after she intervened.The gun which was found in the miner’s homeThe incident reportedly occurred at Savannah Blackwater, North West District on Saturday evening.The Police were summoned after the incident, but the miner had already fled the scene. Upon searching the house, Police found and confiscated an unlicensed shotgun.The Police are continuing their investigations.last_img

City Underlines Site-C Neutrality

first_imgThe city of Fort St. John has issued a news release in the wake of this week’s announcement by the province, that it will move forward with the regulatory environmental assessment stage of the five stage evaluation process associated with the proposed Site-C dam on the Peace River.It notes that City Council has neither formally supported nor opposed the project, but essentially reiterates what Mayor Lantz said following the announcement by Premier Campbell, that Council is pleased to hear that the province has finally made a decision on a project that has been in discussion for the past thirty years… [asset|aid=2793|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=738570a4aa3f5e7be0e7ef970f918500-Lantz-1_4_Pub.mp3] – Advertisement -The release says the city will be presenting a comprehensive report to BC Hydro, which will address a variety of issues and opportunities associated with the Site-C construction.It adds the project will have a substantial impact on Fort St. John, and the mayor and council will begin meeting this week with Hydro representatives.last_img read more

3 pipe bombs found in Valley aqueduct

first_imgPEARBLOSSOM – Three pipe bombs were found near a valve in a portion of the California Aqueduct that was partially drained to check for submerged objects, officials said. The bombs were among numerous items found Tuesday during an inspection, which also yielded 25 vehicles and at least four weapons, California Highway Patrol Sgt. Fernando Contreras said. “The pipe bombs were found by a check valve, so we don’t know if those were left there intentionally,” he said. “If the bombs went off, it could release the valve and open it and release water.” A bomb unit was called to retrieve and detonate the pipe bombs in a safe area, Contreras said. The cars likely had been stolen and the guns had probably been used to commit crimes, he said. Water levels are periodically lowered to look for submerged items, said Blaine Laumbach, chief operator at the hydroelectric plant that cuts water flow to allow the searches. “You can find just about anything in there,” he said. “We’ve found safes from burglaries, soda pop machines, washing machines, all number of things.” Pearblossom is in the eastern Antelope Valley along the east branch of the California Aqueduct, which carries water from the northern part of the state to Southern California. The inspection involved lowering the water level to 4 feet from the normal 12-15 feet. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Salvation Army’s Red Kettle Campaign starts November 18th to December 24th

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Salvation Army’s most recognizable, Red Kettle Campaign starts today, at visible locations around town.The Annual Red Kettle Campaign runs Monday, November 18th, 2019 to December 24th, 2019, proceeds raised from the campaign sponsors the Salvation Army’s Food Bank.The goal for this year’s campaign is to raise $75,000, which will sustain the Food Bank for the entire year. Monies also go to help operate the Family Services Program that directly helps people in need.- Advertisement -“The only way we can have a Food Bank in FSJ is through donated dollars,” says Cameron Eggie, Executive Director of The Salvation Army Northern Centre of Hope. “While we are partnered with Food Bank B.C. no operational Dollars are available through that membership.”The Red Kettles are a vital campaign and success comes from Volunteers that can fill shifts in manning the Kettles. Shifts are two hours long, and there are no requirements to being a Kettle Volunteer, orientation is done through email and over the phone. Every Kettle represents funding for the Food Bank.If you are interested in volunteering for the Red Kettle Campaign, call the Volunteer Coordinator Tatiana (250) 261-1933Advertisementlast_img read more

WADA files appeal against China’s Sun Yang doping decision

first_img0Shares0000Sun has won Olympic gold in the 200m, 400m and 1,500m freestyle and is also a multiple world champion © AFP/File / Martin BUREAULAUSANNE, Switzerland, Mar 13 – The World Anti-doping Agency said Wednesday it had filed an appeal against a decision to clear Chinese swimming star Sun Yang of missing an out of competition doping test.WADA, meeting in Lausanne, told AFP that it had filed the appeal with the Court of Arbitration for Sport following a decision by swimming’s world governing body FINA not to pursue a case against the multiple world champion. Sun, who has won Olympic gold in the 200m, 400m and 1,500m freestyle, missed an out-of-competition test on September 4 at his home in China’s Zhejiang province.“WADA has filed a CAS appeal in the case of Sun Yang,” a spokesman for the anti-doping authority said.The swimmer — who was banned for three months in 2014 for taking a stimulant — was cleared of wrongdoing by FINA in January, according to his lawyers.Sun failed to comply with the test requirements but a FINA doping panel cleared him of wrongdoing because testers for IDTM — the body which conducts tests — had breached several rules.Those included failing to produce authorisation letters and a nursing licence, his lawyers said in a statement.Sun’s lawyers also threatened legal action against a British newspaper, the Sunday Times, which claimed Sun clashed with the anti-doping testers and he and a bodyguard smashed a sealed vial of blood with a hammer.Sun is one of China’s greatest-ever athletes and is hugely popular at home. But his career has been dogged by controversy over doping suspicions and he was publicly branded a drug cheat by his Australian rival Mack Horton at the Rio Olympics in 2016.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Juventus legend Pirlo reveals he could follow Gerrard and Lampard to the MLS

first_imgAndrea Pirlo has revealed he may join Chelsea and Liverpool legends Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard in the MLS – if Juventus win the Champions League.The Italian club are through to the semi-finals of Europe’s premier club competition for the first time since 2003 and face Real Madrid.Pirlo’s contract with Juve expires at the end of the 2016 season but he admits that wining the Champions League would be a perfect ending before he potentially left for America.“Ending my Juventus story by pocketing the Champions League would be a dream come true,” said Pirlo.“But I won’t stop playing, I’ll go on as long as I have the same great desire to keep training every day.“Winning this tournament would admittedly be the best way to close [my Juventus career]. But I wouldn’t go to another Italian team.“Juventus will be my last Serie A team, whatever happens. The MLS could be an idea, but for the moment I don’t have anything, Juve are the only thing on my mind.” Andrea Pirlo 1last_img read more